Two others, who were criminals, were led away to be put to death with him. And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” And they cast lots to divide his garments. And the people stood by, watching, but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, “He saved others; let him save himself, if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!” The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him sour wine and saying, “If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!” There was also an inscription over him, “This is the King of the Jews.” One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!” But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.” Luke 23:32-43
ASK: Prepare. Am I ready to listen?
LOOK: Observe. What does God say?
- Whom was also led away to be crucified with Jesus (23:32)?
- What did Jesus pray during his crucifixion (23:34a)?
- What were the soldiers doing while Jesus was crucified (23:34b, 36-38)?
- What did the rulers say about Jesus (23:35)?
- What did one of the criminals say to Jesus (23:39)?
- What did the other criminal say to his companion and then to Jesus (23:40-42)?
- What promise does Jesus make to the criminal who appealed to him (23:43)?
THINK: Interpret. What does God mean?
- What was Jesus doing when he prayed for forgiveness and whom was he praying for (23:34)?
- What caused the criminal to step out in faith and appeal to Jesus’ compassion (23:40-42)?
- What should we think about Jesus’ promise about paradise (23:43)?
DO: Apply. How does God want me to respond?
- How are you tempted to give up on people who mock Christ or Christians?
- What would it look like to have a mindset like Christ (23:34)?
- What would it look like for you to exercise the kind of faith demonstrated by the criminal beside Christ (23:40-42)?
- Plan this week to invite someone new to church (maybe a friend you’ve been praying for); perhaps to a Good Friday or Easter service.
“For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” 1 Corinthians 1:18