In Times of Much Blessing: Worship Through Thanksgiving
“Make a joyful noise to the Lord , all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing! Know that the Lord , he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.”
- What is a fond thanksgiving memory you can share?
ASK: Prepare. Am I ready to listen?
LOOK: Observe. What does God say?
- What phrase does the psalmist repeat (1a, 2a)?
- What five actions does the psalmist ascribe to the lord (2b-5a)?
- For whom does the Lord work righteousness and justice (6)?
- How does the psalmist describe the Lord (8)?
- What will God not always do (9); how will he not deal with us (10)?
- How great is God’s steadfast love to those who fear him (11)?
- How far does God remove our transgression from us (12)?
- How does God show compassion to those who fear him (13) and why (14)?
- What are man’s days like (15, 16)?
- What is the steadfast love of the Lord like (17, 18)?
THINK: Interpret. What does God mean?
- Why does the psalmist speak to himself (1, 2)?
- What does the psalmist remind himself of to motivate his soul to bless the Lord (1-5)?
- In what sense will God not always chide or keep his anger forever (9)?
- How can God be just and yet not deal with us according to our sins (10)?
- In what sense does God remove our transgressions from us (12)?
- What does it mean that we are dust and how does remembering our frailty give us hope (13, 14)?
DO: Apply. How does God want me to respond?
- What does it look like to talk to ourselves in a healthy way (1, 2)?
- What are some truths about God to be thankful for (1-5)?
- How are we tempted to complain and not be thankful in our inner thought-life and conversations?
- What are ways we can spur each other on towards a healthy and thankful thought-life and conversations?
“I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.” Psalm 34:1